Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How much can one day hold?

What a day!

We started today with some yummy pumpkin pancakes. Trav had off today. So, we got to eat in a nonrushed way...sitting at the dining room table, listening to music, and laughing at X's hilarious expressions. He ate as many pancakes as me by the way. 2 big pancakes....plus bananas and blueberries and strawberries! YUM!

Then, Trav was off to his drum lesson and X and I went for our daily neighborhood walk. I talked to my sis on the phone, chatting and laughing...Chloe was trying not to panic since she had just dropped her phone in her smoothie. This is not the first time...I think there was another phone dropped in seltzer water. This one recovered better than the water one though. I could still hear her fine, and I think the "Oh no, I have to buy a new phone" crisis was averted. I can't say anything....I have spent my entire life dropping, spilling, knocking over, and tripping over everything. So...Chloe's two cell phone mishaps are nothing. But...I digress.

X's morning nap was next. We went a bit early today (9:30 instead of 10) so that we could wake up earlier and try a Gymboree class with a great friend and her baby. X obliged, went down early, and was sleeping so well when I had to go wake him after 45 minutes. I was rubbing his back and he was still snoring  away. Poor kid...I lovingly yanked him out of bed, got him dressed, put him in the car, popped a smoothie in his mouth, and we were off to a 10:30 Gymboree class. I'm a newbie at these classes, so I was psyched when we got there, and we were greeted with smiles and even a familiar face (a mom of a little girl I taught a few years ago). X was so sweet and excited, taking it all in. He stayed close to me but was ready to explore. We sat in the circle and the teacher started to sing and clap, which X loved. Then came the bouncing...the kids all sat on their Mommy's lap while we bounced them up and down to the rhythm and beat of the teacher's song.

Uh-oh...waking up, getting dressed, drinking smoothie, and now  bouncing...all in about 15 minutes.

Not a good combination. My sweet child threw up all over himself, the Gymboree matt, and my hands. I caught his throw up...we moms do funny things like that. It must have been the smoothie and bouncing that did it. I felt horrible! Best Mom in the World Award right here everyone! The room went silent...I knew he wasn't sick, but what if he was? Every mom was looking at me with a look of sympathy and also a panicky look..."what does he have and will my kid catch it?" After many paper towels, wipes, and a clothinb change, Xavie was all smiles and ready to play. To be safe and smart though, we left our first Gymboree class 10 minutes after we arrived. Go Mom!
Lesson - don't feed X a smoothie before a gym class...live and learn. We are going to try again next week.

After a quick trip home to regroup, we went to the park and met our friends for lunch. X was totally fine, no fever, no throwing up...just lots of playing in the dirt and collecting treasures (bark, sticks, pinecones.etc).

X went down for his afternoon nap after his midday Thomas the Train sing along video. He dances his tooshy off to Thomas. I went to tutor at school for 3 hours and made it home to a yummy spaghetti dinner made by my awesome husband. Bath, bedtime stories, and sleep for the Little Man came next.

I ended the day by making a powerpoint for my college class lecture on Thursday. Lots of planning...too many ideas...exhausted.

Holy Moly! What a day! A great day! One I'm sure I'll remember forever.

 From throw up to powerpoints...the life of a Mama. ;)



***Today, I kept thinking about the time I threw up when I was little. It was my First Communion. I was so excited, and I was nervous! I was going to carry the Bible down the aisle! That morning, I was so nervous, my tummy was hurting. I didn't want to eat, and my mom was worried about me. She said, "At least have some orange juice." That morning, as we were getting ready to start the ceremony, guess who threw up the orange juice all over her beautiful communion dress!? Yes...you got it...ME. We had to run home, clean the dress, clean me, and go back two hours later with a much bigger class and no special job of carrying the Bible. To this day, I still get butterflies in my stomach when I'm nervous on big days. My mom now ALWAYS says, "Don't drink orange juice." Ha ha! ***

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog, bub! I laughed hysterically at the cell phone/smoothie part! Your blog should really be titled "Smoothie Disasters of the Day". LOL!!! Love you!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally thought the same thing...there was a smoothie theme. It would have been really good if that's what I drank when I was little too. :)

      Delete