Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Bedtime chat

I had the BEST bedtime chat with my Xav tonight.
It's the night before Xander's 5th birthday! So, we looked through his baby book, laughed and oohed and ahhed over his sweet baby cuteness. I sang our 3 songs, and he was OUT.

So, as I laid down with Xav and started singing, he just opened up and starting talking about school...books he's reading, magic tricks his friends showed him, the way his friend Lyric shakes an 8 ball so he gets the right answer. Just moments before, I ached for my own time - exhausted from the "Mom, mom, moms" of the day - and then I wanted to stay and lie longer with my oldest boy listening to stories of his sweet little life.

He retold me all of the books he read today...Swimmy and Fish is Fish (both written by Leo Lionni you know...Xav informed me), Harold and the Purple Crayon, What Do You Do With A Tail Like This, The Magic Eight Ball...the contents of his book bin in school. As a reading teacher, my inner teacher self was doing cartwheels. This kid understood every book he read..and even more than that, he read during independent reading. Instead of chatting (Ms F., woohoo!), he read...he took his time and read and comprehended.

When I finally got up, he literally held onto me and would not let me go. I LOVE this boy with every ounce of my being. I feel so privileged that he let me into his awesome school life tonight...the parts I don't see when I volunteer or peek in when I'm picking up Xan. He let me in. He didn't just say a one sentence response when I asked how his day was.


This motherhood gig...it pretty much Rocks at all times! These times, though, are the best! ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment